Mets’ Conforto, McNeil, Carrasco out until at least late June: GM

It’s hurry up and wait — until at least late June — for three of the Mets’ integral pieces.

It’s hurry up and wait — until at least late June — for three of the Mets’ integral pieces.

That is the timetable acting general manager Zack Scott placed Monday on Michael Conforto, Jeff McNeil and Carlos Carrasco, all of whom have been sidelined by hamstring injuries.

Previously, the Mets had declined to divulge the severity of the hamstring strains for Conforto and McNeil, who were placed on the injured list May 17 after leaving the previous day’s game at Tampa Bay.

“I think those guys will be out for a while,” Scott said before the Mets opened a four-game series against the Rockies at Citi Field. “They are significant hamstring strains. I think we’re looking at late June.”

Conforto incurred a right hamstring strain running to first base. McNeil strained his left hamstring running to first, after dealing with “cramping” in the leg in the days leading up to the injury.

Carrasco hasn’t thrown a pitch for the Mets this season, after tearing his right hamstring in spring training. The right-hander will likely need several minor league appearances to build up once he’s cleared for game competition.

“Late June or early July, that type of time frame,” Scott said of Carrasco. “He is working hard, he was on the road with the team and I got a chance to talk with him. He is feeling good. Those things come down to when you start ramping up, the intensity and then you see how they feel from there. I know he feels good right now and feels the ball is coming out of his hand well.”

The Mets don’t plan on having Michael Conforto back for a few more weeks.
Corey Sipkin

Scott says he has been “exploring all options” to upgrade the Mets’ roster with 16 players on the IL.

“Definitely I am aware that adding some additional talent is important and we’re going to try to do that,” Scott said. “It’s not completely in our control, it takes two parties to match up, but the effort is definitely being put forth.”


Manager Luis Rojas said he will let the game flow rather than a pitch count dictate how long Jacob deGrom remains on the mound in his return Tuesday. The right-hander will be pitching for the first time since May 9, when he departed his start against the Diamondbacks after only five innings with right-side tightness. The Mets ace pitched three innings for Single-A St. Lucie in a rehab start on Thursday, throwing 41 pitches.


The Mets will promote catcher Francisco Alvarez, the organization’s top prospect, to High-A Brooklyn, according to an industry source. Alvarez, 19, had a 1.213 OPS in 15 games for Low-A St. Lucie entering Monday.

This story originally appeared on: NyPost - Author:Mike Puma

Follow us on Google News