Now, YouTube is blocking the House Jan. 6 committee because of 'misinformation'

YouTube took down a video of a House select committee hearing about the Capitol riots because it spread false information about the election, the site said.

The Democrat-led Jan. 6 panel uploaded the clip on Tuesday, but it was taken down because it showed then-President Donald Trump telling the Fox Business Network that the election had been stolen, according to the New York Times.

The platform, which is owned by Google, said that the excerpt, which included videotaped testimony from former Attorney General William Barr, was against its rules.

As of Friday, the clip could no longer be seen on the website for the committee.

“Our election integrity policy prohibits content advancing false claims that widespread fraud, errors or glitches changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. presidential election, if it does not provide sufficient context,” YouTube spokeswoman Ivy Choi said.

“We enforce our policies equally for everyone, and have removed the video uploaded by the Jan. 6 committee channel.”

An image of former President Donald Trump is displayed during the third hearing of the US House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the US Capitol, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, on June 16, 2022.
The video was uploaded by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
DREW ANGERER/POOL/AFP via Getty Images

Barr had already said in other parts of his testimony that he didn't believe Trump's claims that the election was stolen, so that part of the clip didn't have it.

YouTube's latest censorship move came just days after the video site deleted The Post's interview with Jan. 6 rioter Aaron Mostofsky, which was done while the attack on the Capitol was happening, saying that he, too, was spreading "misinformation."

The interview with Mostofsky, the son of Brooklyn Judge Steven Mostofsky, was taken down from the personal YouTube channel of the Post reporter who did the interview.

Former US President Donald Trump is seen on a screen as the US House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the US Capitol holds its third public hearing, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, on June 16, 2022.
Former President Donald Trump is seen on a screen as the US House Select Committee to Investigate the Jan.6 6 attack on the US Capitol.
AFP via Getty Images
YouTube recently deleted a Post exclusive interview with Capitol rioter Aaron Mostofsky.
YouTube recently deleted a Post exclusive interview with Capitol rioter Aaron Mostofsky.
NY Post

Even though the clip was used by federal prosecutors to help convict Mostofsky, YouTube took issue with the rioter saying that he was in the first group of people to storm the Capitol building because the election had been "stolen."

Like the Jan. 6 committee clip, YouTube tried to explain why it took down the Mostofsky interview by saying it didn't have enough "context" to show that the stolen election claims weren't true.

The platform let a version of the video that was posted on The Post's official YouTube channel last week stay, even though the only change was an added watermark.

-------

Follow us on Google News

Recent Search