Man Shot by Kenosha Police Remains in Serious Condition

Jacob Blake remains hospitalized and in serious condition after he was shot by police in Kenosha, Wisc. on Sunday in an incident that has sparked outrage against police and ignited riots in the area.

A social media video of the incident shows Blake, a 29-year-old black man, walking away from police officers, who have their guns drawn on him, and starting to get into an SUV with his children ages 3, 5, and 8 inside before police shoot him multiple times in the back.

Kenosha Police said they were called shortly after 5 p.m. when they were called to handle a domestic incident. Witnesses said that Blake had been attempting to break up a verbal dispute between two women and that police tried to use a taser on Blake before they heard at least seven gunshots. Witnesses said Blake was unarmed, but it is not confirmed whether he had a weapon.

Police said the officers gave Blake immediate aid, and he was flown to a hospital in the Milwaukee area, where he remained in intensive care as of Monday evening.

The officers involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated by the Wisconsin Department of Justice.

Civil unrest erupted during the two nights following Blake’s shooting, with rioters setting fires outside the Kenosha County Courthouse.

“If we don’t have the systematic reform that this moment in America is crying out for, then we are going to continue to see hashtag after hashtag, protest after protest, and cities burning all across America,” said Blake’s attorney, Ben Crump, on Monday.

Meanwhile, Blake’s uncle called for peaceful protests.

“Protest non-violently,” said Justin Blake. “We want justice, and we’re going to get justice. We’re going to demand justice. But we’re going to do that without tearing up our own communities.”

Filed under