What are the challenges facing local government?
Local government in 2020: challenges and opportunities
- Rethinking revenues. Despite the extraordinary fiscal crisis of the past few years, budget cuts can only go so far in increasing productivity; there are limits to efficiency based on cost ...
- Restructuring labour relations. ...
- Citizenship and participative governance. ...
- Social economy and private providers. ...
- Making best use of social media. ...
- Taking the lead. ...
What can state and local governments do?
This means that state and local governments have in some respects a more prominent role in decision-making than the federal government. Indeed, state and local governments make key investment decisions—about infrastructure, education, and many other areas—that help determine the long-run capacity of the entire economy.
What are some services that local government provide?
What services do state and local governments provide quizlet?
- Zoning regulations.
- police/fire protection.
- public utilities.
- social services.
- public maintenance.
How many state and local governments exist in the US?
The country has a long tradition of local democracy (e.g., the town meeting ), and even some of the smallest areas have their own governments. There are some 85,000 local government units in the United States. The largest local government unit is the county (called a parish in Louisiana or a borough in Alaska).