What does 'percent chance of rain' actually mean?
What does percent chance of rain actually mean? According to a viral take on the internet, the percentage of rain doesn’t predict the chances of rain. Instead, it means a certain percentage of the forecasted area will definitely see rain—so if you see a 40% chance, it means 40% of the forecasted area will see rainfall.
Does a percentage of rain mean that it will rain?
Weatherman Alex Deakin said in a TikTok: ‘Certainly for the Met Office app, the percentage of rain means the chance of rain at that time for that location. ‘So 60 per cent means a 60 per cent chance of rain, 40 per cent chance of dry.
Is 20 percent chance of rain likely?
When a meteorologist says that there is a 20 percent chance of rain, that is not a ''cover your rear'' percentage. It usually means that the atmosphere is generally stable but there's just enough of a particular ingredient (i.e. moisture, heat, lift) to squeeze out a shower of a very limited area.
What does "chance of rain" really mean?
Chance of rain, aka the chance of precipitation and probability of precipitation (PoPs), tells you the likelihood (expressed as a percentage) that a location within your forecast area will see measurable precipitation (at least 0.01 inch) during a specified time period.